What Is it?
The Skills Framework (SFw) is a SkillsFuture initiative developed for the Singapore workforce to promote skills mastery and lifelong learning, and is an integral component of the Sea Transport Industry Manpower Plan.
Jointly developed by SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG), Workforce Singapore (WSG), and the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), together with industry associations, training providers, organisations and unions, the Skills Framework for Sea Transport provides useful information on:
Sector and employment opportunities;
Occupations and job roles;
Existing and emerging skills; and
Training programmes for skills upgrading and mastery.
Who Is It For?
Individuals who wish to join or progress within the Sea Transport sector, to assess their career interest, identify relevant training programmes to upgrade their skills and prepare for the desired job roles.
Employers will be able to recognise these skills and invest in training their employees for career development and skills upgrading.
Training providers can gain insights on sector trends, existing and emerging skills that are in demand, and design programmes to address the sector needs accordingly.
How Does It Work?
The SFw for Sea Transport contains information on employment, career pathways, occupations, job roles, skills and competencies and training programmes.
(i) Sector Information
This section provides information on the SFw for Sea Transport, including information on trends and employment opportunities in the sector.
Click here to download the Guide to Occupation and Skills for the SFw for Sea Transport.
(ii) Career Pathways
The Career Pathways show the possible options for vertical and lateral progression for advancement and growth. Two (2) pathways have been identified (i) Port, and (ii) Shipping and Maritime Services, which encompass 48 job roles.
(iii) Skills Map
The Skills Maps cover a total of 48 job roles, critical work functions, key tasks and skills and competencies aligned to the two pathways (‘Port’ and ‘Shipping and Maritime Services’).
(a) View the Occupations/Job Roles under the SFw for Sea Transport
Click on the respective job roles in the designated track to download the Skills Maps by Occupation/Job Role.
Port Equipment Engineer
Port Operations Manager
Special Limit Seafarers
Port Limit Seafarers
Shipping and Maritime Services
Marine Surveyor (Class)
Ship Agency Manager
Post Fixture Executive
Sales and Purchase Broker
(iv) Skills and Competencies
The Skills and Competencies identified for each of the job roles fall under two broad classifications: (i) Technical Skills and Competencies, and (ii) Generic Skills and Competencies.
(a) View the Technical Skills and Competencies for the SFw for Sea Transport
Technical Skills and Competencies comprise occupation/job-specific knowledge, skills and abilities that a person needs to have to perform the various tasks.
Click below to view the Technical Skills and Competencies for the SF for Sea Transport.
Enterprise Risk Management
Ship Broking and Chartering
Ship Emergency, Occupational Safety and Survival
Ship Handling and Seamanship
Shipboard Safety Management Systems
Workplace Safety and Health
(b) View the Generic Skills and Competencies for the SFw for Sea Transport
Generic Skills and Competencies are employability/transferable skills and competencies.
(v) Training Programmes
The Training Programmes provide information on skills acquisition that are available for new entrants and in-service personnel to acquire skills and competencies required for various job roles in the Sea Transport sector.
(a) View the Training Programmes for aspiring talents
These are programmes that equip new entrants with skills and knowledge for the specific job role in the sector at their respective entry level.
Click on the tracks below to download the Training Programmes for each job role.
(b) View the Training Programmes for in-service employees
For in-service employees who work in the sector and who aspire to take on more challenging roles at work, you can identify and enrol in the training programmes listed here to acquire the relevant skills.
- Technician/Senior Technician [PDF/Word]
- Assistant Engineer [PDF/Word]
- Engineer/Senior Engineer [PDF/Word]
- Lead Engineer [PDF/Word]
- Head, Engineering [PDF/Word]
- Equipment Specialist [PDF/Word]
- Senior Equipment Specialist [PDF/Word]
- Port Operations Supervisor [PDF/Word]
- Port Operations Manager [PDF/Word]
- Head, Port Operations [PDF/Word]
- Port Limit Engine Driver [PDF/Word]
- 2nd Engineer (Special Limit) [PDF/Word]
- Chief Engineer (Special Limit) [PDF/Word]
- Port Limit Steersman [PDF/Word]
- Port Limit Helmsman [PDF/Word]
- Port Limit Tug Master [PDF/Word]
- Chief Mate (Special Limit) [PDF/Word]
- Harbour Pilot [PDF/Word]
- Harbour Pilot Manager [PDF/Word]
Shipping and Maritime Services
- Marine Surveyor (Class) [PDF/Word]
- Principal Marine Surveyor (Class)/Senior Marine Surveyor (Class) [PDF/Word]
- 3rd/4th/5th Engineer [PDF/Word]
- Chief Engineer/2nd Engineer [PDF/Word]
- Technical Superintendent/Senior Technical Superintendent [PDF/Word]
- Technical Manager [PDF/Word]
- 2nd/3rd/4th Mate [PDF/Word]
- Ship Captain/Chief Mate [PDF/Word]
- Marine Superintendent/Senior Marine Superintendent [PDF/Word]
- Marine Manager [PDF/Word]
- Ship Operator [PDF/Word]
- Operations Manager [PDF/Word]
- Senior Operations Manager [PDF/Word]
- Shipping Clerk (Documentation) [PDF/Word]
- Boarding Officer/Ship Agent (Operations) [PDF/Word]
- Ship Agency Manager [PDF/Word]
- Post Fixture Executive [PDF/Word]
- Post Fixture Manager [PDF/Word]
- Charterer [PDF/Word]
- Senior Charterer [PDF/Word]
- Chartering Manager [PDF/Word]
- Assistant Chartering Broker [PDF/Word]
- Chartering Broker [PDF/Word]
- Senior Chartering Broker [PDF/Word]
- Assistant Sales and Purchase Broker [PDF/Word]
- Sales and Purchase Broker [PDF/Word]
- Senior Sales and Purchase Broker [PDF/Word]
- Managing Director/General Manager/Chief Operating Officer/Fleet Director [PDF/Word]
For more information on Training Programmes, please visit the respective training providers’ websites or http://www.skillsfuture.sg/credit.